It’s all very well encouraging parents to think about getting a trampoline for their gardens, and I do it often, but one friend asked me the other day about whether you need planning permission for these structures in our gardens and so I went on a bit of research mission to find out for you.
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on them may result in a commission being paid to us if you purchase afterwards - this is at no extra cost to yourself. Thanks!
So, do you need planning permission for a trampoline in the UK?
No – you do not need planning permission for siting a trampoline in your garden. There are some privacy rules that should be born in mind before going out and getting a trampoline though which I’ll discuss in this article.
- 1 What are the laws you need to be aware of before getting a trampoline
- 2 How to stop your trampoline being a nuisance to neighbours
- 3 Talk to your neighbours
- 4 Be mindful of where you position the trampoline
- 5 Have rules on noise in the garden
- 6 Consider planting hedges that could help with maintaining privacy
- 7 See some of the bestseller trampolines around at the moment
What are the laws you need to be aware of before getting a trampoline
The main thing you need to be aware of before getting a trampoline is privacy. There is no specific privacy law in the UK at the moment but we are covered under the European laws of human rights. These human rights entitle us to privacy (source) and that should enable us to be able to have respect for our private and family life.
Now, would having a trampoline contravene this? (I’m not a lawyer so if you do have issues then I would recommend getting in touch with one or Citizens Advice)
If your trampoline all of a sudden allows for yourself and your children to be able to peer over in to other people’s gardens then there may well be issues with their privacy rights and at the very least you may well develop a bad relationship with your neighbours which we all would love to not have!
How to stop your trampoline being a nuisance to neighbours
On my research journey for this post I came across so many stories of people whose lives were made miserable by people buying trampolines for their gardens without thinking of their neighbours.
It really doesn’t have to be this way and here’s some ways that you can stop your new toy being a nuisance to your neighbours.
Talk to your neighbours
First of all I really recommend opening some dialogue about your intended purchase. This is so much better than one day surprising them with noisy kids playing out there. I think that at our core we all want to do the right thing and that goes for them too – if you talk and be open then the chances of it all being nothing to worry about is much higher. Perhaps they are thinking of putting up a higher fence anyway and it will all work out ok!
Even if your neighbours are completely happy for you to get one they’ll appreciate that you’ve asked. I’d also suggest that you ask them to let you know if it does cause them any issues once you go ahead and get one.
It can be a great way to start to get to know your neighbours if you don’t already – invite them round for a bounce on the trampoline! Or perhaps just a cup of tea and some biscuits!
Be mindful of where you position the trampoline
Not all of us have the luxury of lots of options of where to position a trampoline, but if you do, just be mindful of whether this might interfere with the privacy of your neighbours. Too close to a fence might be just a bit too much.
Have rules on noise in the garden
Make sure that your kids are aware that not everyone enjoys the screams of children as they bounce on a trampoline. Have some rules about noise and make sure that the trampoline isn’t used past 11pm or before 7am. If you do so you might be causing noise disturbance that can be reported.
It’s a simple one – just be respectful of others
Consider planting hedges that could help with maintaining privacy
If you think that having a trampoline is going to be a concern for the privacy of yourself or your neighbours then planting some tall hedges or putting in some higher fences might be worth thinking about.
Sometimes neighbours can be annoyed at anything we’re likely to have in our gardens and sometimes we are blessed with great neighbours that wouldn’t even think of complaining and just enjoy hearing kids play. If we all do the best that we can then we can at least know that we have tried to make the best out of a situation.
See some of the bestseller trampolines around at the moment
- Endless hours of bouncing fun, ideal for energetic and active play ; An enjoyable way to exercise children's eye-hand coordination.
- The Max User Weight is 45KG(The manual is printed incorrectly and the actual maximum load is 45kg), the frame height is 38cm, the safety enclosure height is 140cm and the spring cover protection padding is made from high quality UV resistant PE materials and all tubes are galvanized inside and out for maximum durability.
- Rust-resistant, powder-coated frame, thick foam padding with vinyl covering over the extra heavy duty bands.
- Safety enclosure sits internally to avoid falling on the padded springs.
- Trampoline Dia.: 4.5FT (55" - 140cm) ; Elastic rope: 30PCS ; Safety Net Enclosure Height: 122cm
- 【Thickened Iron Construction】Our trampoline was tested and approved with ASTM standards. The thickened and increased anti-rust steel structure, suit for indoor and outdoor. With safety under enclosure net, avoiding your pet dog or child RUNNING under the trampoline.
- 【Ideal Gifts for Kids】AOKCOS 4.5ft mini trampoline is a great present for children to enjoy their entertaining time. Jumping is one of great sports way to get kids off those electronic devices and burn off some energy. It is very suitable for toddler, children, baby do jump.
- 【Specification Details】Diameter is 4.5ft, high is 5.3ft. Load Capacity: 99LBS/45KG. The high-quality foam pad & 6 poles wrapped in foam providing a safety and comfort jumping environment.
- 【Quality Zipper Door】The built-in zipper door is convenient for your kids to go in and out. The net is visible so that you can observe your kids outside surrounding mesh net. The side protection pad design gives children the ultimate in safety, avoid scratches and bumps.
- 【Easy Assemble】This trampoline is easy to set up. The package comes with detailed instructions, have JUMPING fun right now!
- 【Safe & Stable More Than Ever】Safe and Stable in the first place.Toncur used 28 closed thick steel springs,ensure more stable connectivity in comparison to elastic cords;especially equipped with 6 non-slip suction cups,to give more grip.Covered with PP Oxford fabric mat, to effectively avoid injuries when jumping.Max.load 330 lbs.Workout without worry about your kids and yourself
- 【Adjustable 5 Levels Handle】Customize your bounce，Toncur provide 5 different levels of handrail height(31"/34"/37"/41"/44"), can be easy adjusted to fit children and adults. Anti-slip, sweat resistant foam covered adjustable handrail allows for increased balance, protect from accidents.(Handrail is removable)
- 【Premium & Quiet Bungees】Jumping surface of Toncur Trampoline is tested to millions of bounces,is excellent resilient but not easily deformed. With 6 non-slip mute rubber foot pads on the leg,can make a gentle and smooth bounce,but quieter,also protect your floor(With 2 kinds of foot pads to choose)
- 【Easy To Assemble & Fold】Installation is only in 3 steps and can be done in 5 minutes(With guide video).Folding design with size less to 1/4, for easy storage. Whether you workout in a studio, apartment, office, or tiny home，the easily mobile Toncur foldable trampoline offer the variety you need to workout whenever, wherever
- 【Stay Home & Stay Fit】Rebounder is good for weight loss, muscle toning, increased bone density and lymphatic flow, along with greater balance, a stronger immune system, and enhanced mental health and wellness. Suitable for people of multiple ages (including children) it's designed to help you to reach your fitness goals. Lifetime After-Sale Service - Any questions, 24/7 customer service
- 【STABLE & SAFE TRAMPOLINE】: Fully galvanized steel frame for better resistance to rust and 3 U-shaped legs with 6 balanced.
- 【SAFE DESIGN】: Our trampoline has undergone stringent safety inspections with 6 foam padded poles and high quality zipper
- SUPPER BOUNCE & MORE FUN】: The trampoline comes with 60 galvanized springs, and is covered with thicken safety pad, offering superior bounce and the best jumping experience.
- 【EASY TO ASSEMBLE】: All Accessories for you. We provide you with a detailed product manual, so you can install it step by step according to the manual. All the installation tools you need are offered for quick assembly.
- 【OUR COMMITMENT】: If you have any problems by purchasing or using our trampoline, please feel free to contact us at any time.