It’s all very well encouraging parents to think about getting a trampoline for their gardens, and I do it often, but one friend asked me the other day about whether you need planning permission for these structures in our gardens and so I went on a bit of research mission to find out for you.
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on them may result in a commission being paid to us if you purchase afterwards - this is at no extra cost to yourself. Thanks!
So, do you need planning permission for a trampoline in the UK?
No – you do not need planning permission for siting a trampoline in your garden. There are some privacy rules that should be born in mind before going out and getting a trampoline though which I’ll discuss in this article.
- 1 What are the laws you need to be aware of before getting a trampoline
- 2 How to stop your trampoline being a nuisance to neighbours
- 3 Talk to your neighbours
- 4 Be mindful of where you position the trampoline
- 5 Have rules on noise in the garden
- 6 Consider planting hedges that could help with maintaining privacy
- 7 See some of the bestseller trampolines around at the moment
What are the laws you need to be aware of before getting a trampoline
The main thing you need to be aware of before getting a trampoline is privacy. There is no specific privacy law in the UK at the moment but we are covered under the European laws of human rights. These human rights entitle us to privacy (source) and that should enable us to be able to have respect for our private and family life.
Now, would having a trampoline contravene this? (I’m not a lawyer so if you do have issues then I would recommend getting in touch with one or Citizens Advice)
If your trampoline all of a sudden allows for yourself and your children to be able to peer over in to other people’s gardens then there may well be issues with their privacy rights and at the very least you may well develop a bad relationship with your neighbours which we all would love to not have!
How to stop your trampoline being a nuisance to neighbours
On my research journey for this post I came across so many stories of people whose lives were made miserable by people buying trampolines for their gardens without thinking of their neighbours.
It really doesn’t have to be this way and here’s some ways that you can stop your new toy being a nuisance to your neighbours.
Talk to your neighbours
First of all I really recommend opening some dialogue about your intended purchase. This is so much better than one day surprising them with noisy kids playing out there. I think that at our core we all want to do the right thing and that goes for them too – if you talk and be open then the chances of it all being nothing to worry about is much higher. Perhaps they are thinking of putting up a higher fence anyway and it will all work out ok!
Even if your neighbours are completely happy for you to get one they’ll appreciate that you’ve asked. I’d also suggest that you ask them to let you know if it does cause them any issues once you go ahead and get one.
It can be a great way to start to get to know your neighbours if you don’t already – invite them round for a bounce on the trampoline! Or perhaps just a cup of tea and some biscuits!
Be mindful of where you position the trampoline
Not all of us have the luxury of lots of options of where to position a trampoline, but if you do, just be mindful of whether this might interfere with the privacy of your neighbours. Too close to a fence might be just a bit too much.
Have rules on noise in the garden
Make sure that your kids are aware that not everyone enjoys the screams of children as they bounce on a trampoline. Have some rules about noise and make sure that the trampoline isn’t used past 11pm or before 7am. If you do so you might be causing noise disturbance that can be reported.
It’s a simple one – just be respectful of others
Consider planting hedges that could help with maintaining privacy
If you think that having a trampoline is going to be a concern for the privacy of yourself or your neighbours then planting some tall hedges or putting in some higher fences might be worth thinking about.
Sometimes neighbours can be annoyed at anything we’re likely to have in our gardens and sometimes we are blessed with great neighbours that wouldn’t even think of complaining and just enjoy hearing kids play. If we all do the best that we can then we can at least know that we have tried to make the best out of a situation.
See some of the bestseller trampolines around at the moment
- Zero Gravity has been synonymous with high specification, quality trampolines. During this time they have shied away from the cheaper end of the market as it used to be impossible to produce a safe high performance trampoline at such a low price. Technology has changed however and with Zero Gravity's patented weldless frame trampolines they can now offer their trampolines to a wider market without compromising quality and safety. Introducing the Zero Gravity Ultima 4 Trampoline...
- All Zero Gravity Ultima 4 trampolines feature a state of the art safety enclosure. A netting sited directly on the edge of the jumping surface supported by arced uprights improve safety in the event of a fall, whilst a wired top ring retains the shape and structure of the netting. The enclosure also features a quick release system so that it can be taken down in minutes, this reduces wind hazards and is ideal for preventing unsupervised play.
- The safety padding's top surface is made from PVC rather than cheaper, inferior PE giving a quality look and feel that unlike PE will not disintegrate under UV light. Safety is of the uttermost importance so inside the padding you'll find 20mm thick EPE foam protecting your child against the steel frame.
- Even before gaining EN71 certification this trampoline went through extensive testing at the Zero Gravity testing lab. Including 500KG weight testing and cycle testing. Did you know that while a welded trampolines frame will typically crack at 1 million cycles this trampoline has gone through over 2.5 million cycles without cracking.
- Customer service is key to Zero Gravity Trampolines success. Although we believe the assembly guide supplied with this trampoline is one of the best available, should you have any questions while building your trampoline please feel free to call the Zero Gravity support line and one of their knowledgeable staff will be only to pleased to help.
- Here it is, the very latest 2019 Kanga 6ft Trampoline with Enclosure package which includes the safety net enclosure, ladder and FREE anchor kit worth £25
- This Kanga trampoline is made from high quality materials and meets all EU safety regulations such as CE, GS, TUV and EN71.
- Buy the Kanga 6ft trampoline with enclosure with confidence, knowing that the 6ft version is ideal for gardens of all sizes and is ideal for children through to adults, giving ample amount of room to bounce on.
- The Max User Weight is 50kgs, the jumping mat diameter is 1.42m, the frame height is 51cm, the safety enclosure height is 150cm and the spring cover protection padding is 14mm thick and made from high quality UV resistant PE materials with EPE foam inside and all tubes are galvanized inside and out for maximum durability.
- This great trampoline comes complete with an English safety and instruction manual, there is also a youtube assembly video and we provide a fully manned customer helpline that is open Mon - Fri on (01206) 855170 for any questions or help needed with your trampoline. We want you to be 100% happy with your Kanga trampoline purchase!
- 🎁[Max Load 330 lbs] - This trampoline comes with 32 resistant springs and 6 durable steel legs, durable construction, features high quality steel material and high-elastic & wear-resistant mat can support up to 330 pounds. PP Oxford fabric mat cover all gaps between the springs which will effectively avoid injuries when jumping.
- 🎁[Foldable&Space Saving] - The foldable design allows you to fold the 40" (100 cm) mini fitness trampoline twice of size less to 1/4, helps you to carry it from one spot to another without any hassle and store under the bed, in the closet or the car trunk easily without taking up space.
- 🎁[Adjustable Non-slip Handle] - Customize your bounce, this trampoline provides 4 different levels of handrail height(32"/35.34"/38.67"/42"), can be easily adjusted to fit people of different heights and ages. The hanle is covered by the foam, which is very comfortable for you to grip,more stable and safer.
- 🎁[Efficient Indoor Exercise] - Fitness trampoline is always taken as cardio equipment with high efficiency and fun, 5 minutes bounce exercise is equals to 1 hour jogging, 30 mins Yoga, 20 mins swimming. You can experience a program like a fitness gym at home. Suitable for children, adults, sports enthusiasts, fitness shapers.
- 🎁[Anti-Slip&Quiet] - With non-slip rubber pads on the legs, not only make the trampoline safe without scratching your floor but also make the jumping less the annoying noise. Fast folding and installation is only in 3 steps. We have detailed assembly instructions, which list the specific assembly steps and all components.【BUY WITH CONFIDENCE】 - Any questions, 24/7 customer service.
- 【DURABLE, HEAVY-DUTY DESIGN】The Toncur 36” mini trampoline is made of industrial-grade stainless steel structure, connected by 28 springs. The maximum weight is 330 pounds. The springs are covered with a safety Oxford fabric protective cover, which effectively prevents the toes from getting stuck in the gap
- 【PROFESSIONAL, STABLE JUMP】The pad of the Toncur trampoline has been tested millions of times. The PP material makes it have excellent resilience and ductility and will not deform within 10 years. It also has the characteristics of non-slip, waterproof and skin-friendly
- 【COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT】It only takes 5 minutes to install the trampoline in 3 simple steps(with video guide). It can be folded twice, and the folded size is less than 1/4 of the original size. Easy to put in the trunk or under the bed
- 【SAFETY AND SUPER QUIET】We provide you with 6 detachable rubber-tipped legs and 6 non-slip suction cups. They effectively reduce noise to 40dB and protect your floor space. After jumping, clean the surface of the pad with a wet towel. The waterproof PP material prevents the breeding of bacteria and viruses
- 【WELL-KNOWN SPORT BRAND, TONCUR】Get the most out of your trampoline with online workout videos. Videos include an introduction and some high-energy routines. Of course, we also provide you with trampoline installation videos and high-quality after-sales service. Toncur, your personal health consultant